Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Capital City Half Marathon : Primary Goal

Last fall, I set a goal for myself for the 2013 Capital City Half Marathon -- 1:44:59. A friend jumped on board with me because she wanted to set a big PR (personal record) and it matched mine. We were doing this together. I wrote her an email where I committed to doing this, committed to doing the training, and committed to running hard on race day. No matter what we were to each run hard on race day, if it meant leaving one another, then so be it...go get your PR.

Then life happened, and my friend -- who honestly was kinda burnt out on road races anyhow -- found TRAIL RUNNING! She set new goals, and I support her in her new goals (in fact I've even done some light trail running this past training season). She is happier in her running endeavors and is using this year's Capital City Half Marathon for a training running for a 50k. I can't tell you how much I support her change of goals, she smiles more now when she talks about trail running. Smiles are better than PR's EVERY.DAY.OF.THE.WEEK!

So what's my goal? I wrote my goal on the door of our house -- I saw it every time that I walked out of the house; however, it just hit me that I didn't think about it every time I walked out of the house. It didn't drive me. I recently questioned my speed, but found that I am as fast or faster than the last half marathon that I ran. I'm going into this race weekend with confidence that I'll PR and with one goal!

What's that goal? NO PORTA-POTTY USE ON THE COURSE. OK, I really wanted to say "No Peeing on the course!" Last year, for some reason I had to go to the restroom when we started the race. I thought I had taken care of all that...but when we got to the starting corral, I needed to go. However, it was too late. I ran 6 miles before I found a porta-potty that was without a line. I guess I wasn't the only one that needed to go! Subsequently some of the races and training runs I did after that race were plagued by this...even up to and including my last long (7 miles) run last weekend.

Yep, that's the goal....No Peeing on the course.

Good luck to my friend Anne, and to all of my JustTri teammates racing CapCity, Rev3 Knoxville, or Rocketman Florida! Race Hard with FEARLESS BELIEF!

No comments:

Post a Comment